Saturday, September 18, 2010

Lady Gaga Gets Political



Since her appearance at the MTV VMAs, Lady Gaga has been on a mission to speak out against the U.S. Military’s “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy.

In a video message posted to her official Youtube account, Gaga urges members of the U.S. Senate to vote next week in favor of the Defense Authorization Bill, a bill that would repeal “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.” The current policy forces gay and lesbian servicemembers to hide their homosexuality at the risk of being discharged. Gaga is asking fans to join the fight by calling their own states’ senators.

In the video, she demonstrates this by calling NY democrats Charles Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand: “I have called both of the senators that operate in my district. I will not stop calling until I reach them and I can leave them this message:

‘I am a constituent of the senator; my name is Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta, also known as Lady Gaga. I’m calling to ask the senator to vote with Senators Reid and Levin to repeal ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ and oppose John McCain’s shameless filibuster. We need to do this for our gay and lesbian soldiers, and finally repeal ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.’”

For more information, visit sldn.org/blog/archives/gaga and find out what you can do to help!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...